Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
first official match, -v- vs [o]
04-11-2008, 10:58 PM
first official match, -v- vs [o]
we won 3x. nice commanding victory on facing, a bs win on mikectf, and a nail biter on lavaflag. only the first one on facing felt like a win. mikectf we got a commanding lead while they lost mkzelda and had to sub out for nifrek which caused some chaos. we then completely fell apart and lost something like an 80 point lead to barely win at the end. mikectf and lavaflag felt like we survived a skydiving accident with a hundred broken bones while [o], uh, died. they didn't feel much like victories.

to beat [o], regardless of the circumstances, is a major accomplishment. i feel we probably didn't deserve it. change just a few variables and the results would've been terribly different. i regret that mikectf was marred. i feel like we got really lucky, but luck or not things are as they are.

i suspect [o] feels similarly. the only consolation i can offer is this won't be our last encounter.

welcome back mute print, glad you made the game. our lineup tonight was lightning in a bottle.
inficio, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Jan 2008.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2008, 01:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2008 01:21 AM by mkzelda.)
RE: first official match, -v- vs [o]
I didn't expect to be available tonight, so when other commitments fell through I thought I would get the chance to play. I just was not ready and I guess I forced the issue. I feel pretty guilty and I'm sorry for both sides for disturbing/ruining that game.

Congratulations on your victory. From what I got to see you looked like you played as a team. I'm glad to see the competition rising and that the league is taking off. Everyone has been training a lot lately. I look forward to the chance to participate in the future.
[url]http://mkzelda.net[/url] - Repository for my nexuiz files
[url]http://www.optimalclan.com[/url] - [O]ptimal Clan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2008, 02:14 AM
Yeah, thanks for the matches. The [o] members had a long discussion after the matches about what happened and what we need to work on. So this experience will hopefully be a catalyst to get more practice going within [o]. Some of us haven't been playing much lately while some others have been playing a lot lately, but not practicing any team dynamics at all. I think what carried us through the matches was our individual skill, not our team play. It didn't help that we're still working on a new communication bind system. I ended up not even using it because I don't know the binds yet. :-/

Facing worlds...we started off horribly. We had almost everyone inside base at one point. I'm not sure how that happened. It took us a few minutes to figure that out and make an adjustment to form a strike team. Otherwise, it felt like we were just fighting off a flood of blue players. We were defending well for a while and scoring more than -V- in kills, but we weren't gonna win a game like that.

Though the MikeCTF thing was aggravating, it was mostly aggravating because I felt like we weren't performing to our potential. It seemed like a big deal at the time because it felt (to me) like our only chance to win a match for the night, and it started off very badly. It was just unfortunate timing. Oh well...I'm over it.

As for lavaflag, I was surprised that we held a lead like that. For me, my momentum was lost after the MikeCTF match and I really didn't have much focus on lavaflag. It felt like I ran around a lot looking for weapons.

Demos of the matches will be posted tomorrow.
Dokujisan, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Dec 2007.
04-12-2008, 02:19 AM
oh, and one of the comments that kept being made in our discussions was that -V- seemed to be doing well in teamwork, especially when it comes to covering each other during dogfights. It was rare to face only one -V- player by themselves.
Dokujisan, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Dec 2007.
04-12-2008, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2008 10:09 AM by inficio.)
while we almost lost mikectf, lavaflag is where you guys shined imo. we couldn't get a foothold for most of the match and it really felt like we were going down. you guys kept us in base alot and wouldn't let us in yours without suffering considerable damage. it was aggravating for me and quite a few others. for the other maps we didn't really feel that sense of aggrevation, not even as we were losing our heading on mikectf.

oh, and doku, on lavaflag, a lot of the time chryzz would be standing out front with a nex while you stood nearby with an mg. that was a frustrating combo. focus on the plinker while the sniper gets you, or get picked off while you go after the sniper. :o
inficio, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Jan 2008.
04-12-2008, 09:48 AM
My performance on Lavaflag could be compared to me vomiting all over myself for 20 minutes. Good job everyone.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I think we played really well on Facing too. Scorp did a great job getting into your base, I was surprised that you guys didn't have the snipers outside the whole time. MikeCTF was really crazy, Zelda I don't think it was the switches fault that caused the chaos. I stopped defending and went to the middle by accident leaving just Icky inside the base. You guys were able to bring out 2 or 3 quick caps to get the match closer. Lava is the one I think we got the luckiest on. It was probably the most nerve racking match as well as the funnest one to play. Nice job to everyone!
CrazyDiamond9, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Jan 2008.
04-12-2008, 01:50 PM
CD: the chaos they refer to is when we got our first cap. it was just before this that zelda switched out and nifrek switched in and doku had to unlockteams. our chaos is a seperate issue from their's. :)

anyway, more findings from the demo...
1) we kicked ass legit on facing. it's ironic how people consider it to be 'our map' when it's regularly known as a sniping map and arguably [o] has better snipers than us :o
2) where are our binds? you guys need the 'flag carrier is here' one asap
3) on mike: if you're cutting off chokepoints to prevent fc escape and are uncertain where he's coming, naturally divide in middle between low/high, try to spread out so we can cover all exits. at one point we seemed to have 3 guys on the low ground (which is worse d/t time/health it takes to get on top of bridge) while waiting for their fc.
4) on mike: we were legit kicking ass there too. we almost lost cause we screwed up for 2-2.5 minutes straight. defense players need to reclaim base. communication in this regard is an area we need to practice. letting one flag carrier slip is regrettable, letting 3 slip in a row is reprehensible. :) not pointing any fingers, but we know where we need to work.
5) on mike: i know this is controversial, but the mkzelda/nifrek switch probably cost them ~30 points, not counting whatever confusion afterwards they had from swapping players. we won by a little less than 30, so not sure what things would've been without it. however, while they're having team issues, they're still attacking our base. you could see on facing how when we dropped a guy we slowed things down and huddled around base with what guys we had left, circling the wagons so to speak. i don't feel we did anything wrong (ethically or morally, what have you) by grabbing their flag in regards to that. it's unfortunate timeout is broke as fuck.
6) it was freakin sweet when i killed soul as he pursued our fc during the chaos of the mkzelda/nifrek switch.
7) on mike: one flag cap they had could've easily gone the other way. yeah, the one when torus killed me while i was carrying. he rocket stuffed me and blah.
8) the natural order of things is for spectators to make complete asses of themselves when they think you won't see what they say.
9) lavaflag: i thought we sucked, but in hindsight we weren't too bad. mute print described his performance as 20 minutes of puking on himself, and i kinda felt that way too. but looking at the demo we weren't too bad. it was a gg.
10) chryyz's sniping was terribly effective, especially for the first 10 minutes of the match. imho, and no offense to the other good performers in [o], he almost single-handedly beat us, but...
11) icarus's performance at the end of the match was incredible. between stopping fc's and capping himself, he got us the win, but...
12) the decisive flag cap for us was luck. despite icky's impressive run, soul *just* missed grabbing our flag and who knows what would've happened... we should've had a guy at the flag in expectation of that... i was pursuing soul from the bottom (you can see me firing laser at him in ir3ul's demo trying to blow him off course) but i didn't have the weapons or position to take him out.
04-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Here are the three demos, in the order in which we played:
[url]http://www.optimalclan.com/demos/v_o_ctf_ir3ul_2008-04-11_facingworlds.dem[/url]
[url]http://www.optimalclan.com/demos/v_o_ctf_ir3ul_2008-04-11_mikectf.dem[/url]
[url]http://www.optimalclan.com/demos/v_o_ctf_ir3ul_2008-04-11_lavaflag.dem[/url]

I posted the results and my commentary on the alientrap forums
[url]http://alientrap.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35072#35072[/url]
04-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Quote:10) chryyz's sniping was terribly effective, especially for the first 10 minutes of the match. imho, and no offense to the other good performers in [o], he almost single-handedly beat us, but...

I still haven't gotten to watch the demos yet, but I will say one thing. At the end of the match, I said "We sucked". By that, I didn't mean that we each sucked as players. I think we were competitive in the matches due to our individual skill more than our teamplay. So when I say "we sucked", I meant that "our team skills sucked" compared to where I hoped they would be.