Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thoughts on Playing Laser-Only?
08-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Thoughts on Playing Laser-Only?
As a recent change in my title might suggest, I've been playing laser-only alot lately.

While I don't [i]always[/i] do so, I'm finding it to be a viable strategy.

As a disclaimer (And to avoid sounding like a know-it-all), I'm not saying it's the best strategy, but I'm saying it's a viable and fun one to use now and then.

Here's my thinking on the subject:

With the laser always out, laser movement becomes simpler. This is because you don't have to swap to it, so you can improvise with it much more easily.

You also don't have to worry about ammo. Because the laser doesn't use any ammo, you never run out. This means that in team modes, your teammates can have more of the ammo and weapons, because they aren't part of your strategy. This is especially good when there is a very good player on your team who can really use the better weapons.

The laser is a good weapon to disrupt an opponent's aim with. I've found that in close spaces, I can often overwhelm someone else by smacking them around several times in quick succession.

The laser is also useful in space maps, for obvious reasons. While laser-bouncing foes into space won't win you any friends, it's effective.

There are, of course, disadvantages and difficulties.

Because the laser is the least powerful weapon, an opponent who has stocked up on armor and health is all the more fearsome when you aren't doing much damage.
This can be overcome by hitting them consistently, disrupting their aim. Obviously, it can also be overcome by deviating from the strategy a bit. This is why when I'm playing laser-only, I like to keep a more powerful weapon on hand just in case things get dicey.

It is also a projectile weapon. (Which makes little sense with it being a [i]laser[/i], but I digress)
This means that it can be tricky to hit opponents, as the shot takes time to travel, even if the "blast" is rather speedy.
The standard projectile weapon tactic of shooting the ground and walls around your target reduces how precise your aim needs to be, but it doesn't eliminate it entirely.

Having the laser out constantly also makes it easier to kill yourself by laser-bouncing too much. This is especially hard if you tend to not keep an eye on your health and armor. (Which is something I myself could be better about)
This can be prevented by doing things that are obvious, and generally a good idea whether you're playing laser-only or not.
Things like being careful with your health, trying to laser-bounce effectively (Thus minimizing how much you need to do so), and trying not to do it too much while fighting an opponent.

It's also a fun way to play now and then.

The lack of ammo means that you don't have to worry about running out of ammo. I personally find that kind of relaxing.

Using the laser is also something of a handicap. While it can be troublesome in team modes (Well, not for the other team Icon_lol) it an be fun in deathmatch. It makes losing less of a big deal, and makes it even more fun when you do well.

It's a fun skill to develop. Using only the laser means rethinking alot of strategy. While it does remove the aspect of considering which weapons are best for which situations (And, if you do it too much, your skill with other weapons will start to atrophy), it also allows you to focus more on movement and opens up tactics such as forcing opponents into things like lava and space.

It's a good way to train your aim. Because the laser is a projectile weapon, does little damage, and bounces targets around alot, you have to hit a target that is moving rather quickly a fair number of times to succeed.

I've also found that when I play laser-only, a few other players will often join in. This leads to laser duels, which can be rather fun. (A bit like fighting with those inflatable boxing gloves they used to make back in the 90's)

I'm curious what others think about this strategy.

Again, it's not the best way to play, or something that anyone would want to always do, but it's fun now and then.

So... Anyone else want to weigh in on this? Icon_razz
Dude the Mighty -- The few, the proud, the... This guy!
Now with 25% more oranges!
And the power of fiber! From oatmeal!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2009, 09:20 AM
RE: Thoughts on Playing Laser-Only?
Laser is an awesome thing to be able to kill with. I wanna try too.
[img]http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/lsu3yp5qc56g69dtt8ey.jpg[/img]
08-29-2009, 07:06 PM
I will say laser is definately my favorite weapon . why , because of the reasons you stated and more .
but the main thing is sometimes its not possible to have a weapon of choice given a situation . i have had too many battles with a nex shooter and won just because my aim was better at the moment . this really does help your concentration with aim and movement . I think it is good to play laser only sometimes for this reason alone .
[img]http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/1w2e4f58te5qchffv250.png[/img]
master , do you call me grasshopper because i am cunning and stealthy ?
NO, because you are ugree rike insect !
08-31-2009, 07:27 PM
sounds to me a lot like minstagib :-p thats what i play almost all the time :-p
evil_mercenary, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since May 2009.
09-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I don't see how it's like minstagib at all, actually, evil_mercenary.

You're up against people who will usually use more powerful weapons, you have to manage health and armor, and you can't laser-bounce without taking a bit of damage.

Care to clarify?
09-01-2009, 09:33 AM
I think in a serious match you can not use laser only if you want to win :P
Laser an advanced play and he will nex your face :D
[color=blue][BOT][/color][color=red]M[/color]irio [color=white]{[/color][color=red]NN[/color][color=white]}[/color],proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz since Nov 2007.
[url=bot-nexuiz.de.tl][BOT] Page[/url] | [url=topfreeforum.com/botforum][BOT] Forum[/url]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Laser-only is less of a strategy and more of a training tool. It's good for training your aim and concentration, not for scoring lots of frags.

That said, you can win serious matches using only the laser, you just have to be good at it. Icon_wink
09-28-2009, 12:55 PM
it is a main weapon if you're playing on mental space.. but then on that map I usually just snipe ppl with the machine gun cuz im too lazy to get the nex xD
Zailemaos, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Sep 2009.