Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Self assessment
12-21-2007, 05:53 PM
Self assessment
We all have things to work on. In order to really improve at a fast rate, I think it's important to honestly rate your skills in various areas. Let's establish some metrics for this. I'll throw in some ideas to get discussion started. Some of the following things overlap, and I'm sure that I'm forgetting some, so I wanna hear from you guys also.

The idea would be to rate yourself from 1-10 (with 10 being the most potential that you can imagine) in the following areas:

[b]dog-fighting[/b]
When you've found yourself in a room with an enemy who has the same weapon that you have and you two have to fight to the death (boy, that sounds dramatic) or you're out in a wide open area and have to out maneuver an enemy with only a shotgun. This has to do with agility, aim, evasion, and quick reflexes.

[b]laser jumping[/b] (or rocket, mortar, etc)
Getting around maps with the help of propulsion from your radius damage weapons. Are you a grasshopper?

[b]Rocket flying[/b]
Traversing the entire map in seconds through the use of rocket propulsion. This is where you rocket jump up and then explode another rocket underneath you to keep you in the air while propelling you forward.

[b]Sniping[/b]
This is more than just aiming the nex well. There is a strategy to picking effective snipe locations and maintaining them.

[b]Resource control[/b]
Are you the one who always knows when the quad (aka power) is about to respawn?

[b]Map memorization[/b]
How quickly do you pick up maps? Do you get lost easily? Do you know the maps like the back of your hand?

[b]Weapon switching / combining[/b]
Are you very good at switching from laser to nex and then back to laser? What about rockets to machine gun and then to electro?

[b]Knowledge of keybinds[/b]
This is an art in itself. There are lots of ways to use special variables and scripts to create advanced keybinds. It's important to know which keybinds will be helpful and which ones will just get in the way and add confusion.

[b]Individual weapon skill[/b]
Laser
Shotgun
Crylink
Machine gun
Electro
Mortar
Nex gun
Hagar
Rocket Launcher

[b]DM Strategy (1v1)[/b]
Map control, weapon selection, prediction of enemy movement, using sound to determine enemy location, using sound to throw off your enemy, memorizing spawn points, timing resource spawning.

[b]DM Strategy (free for all)[/b]
Map control, weapon selection, fighting multiple people, prediction of enemy movement.

[b]CTF Strategy[/b]
Teamwork, knowing when to switch from offense to defense, knowing which roles to take, how to adjust your strategy to react to the enemy's tactics. Pinpointing what is making the enemy successful and forming a strategy to defeat that.

[b]CTF - Offense[/b]
How easily can you jump into an enemy base and escape with their flag? Or, how well can you attack the enemy, whether it's to help your flag carrier or to open up the enemy defense?

[b]CTF - Defense[/b]
Keep the bad guys out. How well can you protect your base?

[b]CTF - Teamwork[/b]
Communication, assistance, leaving resources for the flag carrier, protecting the flag carrier, awareness of your teammates, making your teammates aware of you.

That's all I can think of for now. This should get the ball rolling.
Dokujisan, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Dec 2007.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2007, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2007 12:02 AM by -z-.)
RE: Self assessment
Great idea.

[b]dog-fighting[/b]: 8
[b]laser jumping[/b]: 8
[b]rocket flying[/b]: 8
[b]sniping[/b]: 6.5
[b]resource control[/b]: 8
[b]weapon switching/combining[/b]: 7
[b]knowledge of keybinds[/b]: 8

[b]Map Memorization[/b]
[u]CTF[/u]: 9
[u]DM[/u]: 5

[u]laser[/u]: 8
[u]shotgun[/u]: 5
[u]crylink[/u]: 7
[u]machine gun[/u]: 8
[u]electro[/u]: 8
[u]mortar[/u]: 7
[u]nex gun[/u]: 7
[u]hagar[/u]: 7
[u]rocket launcher[/u]: 9

[b]DM Strategy (1v1)[/b]: 6
[b]DM Strategy (free for all)[/b]: 7
[b]CTF - Strategy[/b]: 8.5
[b]CTF - Offense[/b]: 9
[b]CTF - Defense[/b]: 8
[b]CTF - Teamwork[/b]: 8.5

[b][color=red]Ones I added[/color][/b]

[b]CTF - Ability to hold onto flag[/b]: 9
[b]CTF - Awareness of waypoints[/b]: 8
[b]CTF - Flag capture speed[/b]: 8
[b]CTF - Awareness of the state of the game[/b]: 8
(Ability to translate other users waypoints and messages into a story, knowledge of both flags current situation, etc.)

[b]Evasion skills[/b]: 8

I don't do much 1v1, I'm more CTF but I've been known to do some DM matches from time to time. Consequently my knowledge of dm maps is limited and my weapon/item control is severely affected.

[b]tip[/b]: quote this post and you can just change your values :D
Inspire your neighbor, they'll inspire you back.

[url=http://maps.nexuizninjaz.com]maps.nn[/url] | [url=http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com]pics.nn[/url] | [url=http://chat.nexuizninjaz.com]chat.nn[/url] | [url=http://toolz.nexuizninjaz.com/cvar]2.5 cvar browser[/url]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-21-2007, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2007 07:13 PM by Mirio.)
-z- u forgot "Map memorization"

[b]laser jumping[/b]: 9
[b]rocket flying[/b]: 7
[b]sniping[/b]: 8
[b]resource control[/b]: 7
[b]Map memorization[/b] : 9 , i have to play a map 1,2 times n i know the secrets Icon_ninja_look
[b]weapon switching/combining[/b]: ? -> i only use 3 weapons
[b]knowledge of keybinds[/b]: 9

[u]laser[/u]: 10 -> Teh Laser Man! Icon_wink
[u]shotgun[/u]: -
[u]crylink[/u]: -
[u]machine gun[/u]: -
[u]electro[/u]: -
[u]mortar[/u]: -
[u]nex gun[/u]: 8
[u]hagar[/u]: -
[i][b]Note: i only use this weapons [/b][/i]

[b]DM Strategy (1v1)[/b]: 3 -> man i suck in 1on1 :)
[b]DM Strategy (free for all)[/b]: 5
[b]CTF - Strategy[/b]: 9 -> i know what to do if i see my enemys , but often my team don't know what to do Icon_rolleyes
[b]CTF - Teamwork[/b]: 9
i am pretty good in returning the flag Icon_smile
[color=blue][BOT][/color][color=red]M[/color]irio [color=white]{[/color][color=red]NN[/color][color=white]}[/color],proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz since Nov 2007.
[url=bot-nexuiz.de.tl][BOT] Page[/url] | [url=topfreeforum.com/botforum][BOT] Forum[/url]
12-22-2007, 07:39 AM
[b]dog-fighting[/b]: 7
[b]sniping[/b]: 7
[b]resource control[/b]: 5
[b]weapon switching/combining[/b]: 8

[b]Map Memorization[/b]
[u]CTF[/u]: 8

[u]laser[/u]: 8
[u]shotgun[/u]: 5
[u]crylink[/u]: 7
[u]machine gun[/u]: 7
[u]electro[/u]: 6
[u]mortar[/u]: 8
[u]nex gun[/u]: 7
[u]hagar[/u]: 6
[u]rocket launcher[/u]: 8

[b]DM Strategy (1v1)[/b]: 5
[b]CTF - Strategy[/b]: 8
[b]CTF - Offense[/b]: 7
[b]CTF - Teamwork[/b]: 6

[b]CTF - Ability to hold onto flag[/b]: 8
(I take this to mean keep the flag after you've escaped the enemy base. I've added the item below for another aspect of holding the flag.)
[b]CTF - Ability to escape the enemy base with the flag[/b]: 6
[b]CTF - Awareness of waypoints[/b]: 7

[b]Evasion skills[/b]: 7
(evading getting shot, I assume)

I've played CTF almost exclusively. My biggest weaknesses there are team messages and getting away with the flag. I think the two are related. I often end up going for the flag when no one else is attacking, or outrunning my teammates when they are attacking. Anyway, I zip in there alone and get overwhelmed with 2 or 3 defenders or someone good with a nex. I know it can be done alone if you are very good or very lucky, but with 2 or 3 attackers your odds of success go way up.

I recently started playing Minstagib to hone my nex aim, but it varies from match to match. Sometimes I'm in 1st or 2nd, then fall dead last on the next map playing the same players. It probably depends on how well I know the map, but also I notice that a small slip in concentration makes my aim much worse. I almost never play DM, but I figured Minsta should be lumped in with DM.

Disclaimer: It's probably hard to judge your skill realistically until you've played some ladder matches. I've only played on the free for all public servers, so there are plenty of beginners and bad team play to make me feel good about my abilities. I hope I'm not grossly overstating my skills. :icon_redface:
So much to do, so little time to do it
01-10-2008, 01:41 AM
[b]rocket flying[/b]: 4
[b]sniping[/b]: 6
[b]resource control[/b]: 9
[b]Map memorization[/b] : 9
[b]weapon switching/combining[/b]: 9

[u]laser[/u]: 10
[u]shotgun[/u]: 6
[u]crylink[/u]: 3
[u]machine gun[/u]: 5
[u]electro[/u]: 9
[u]hagar[/u]: 4
[u]rocket launcher[/u]: 4

[b]DM Strategy (1v1)[/b]: 9
[b]DM Strategy (free for all)[/b]: 6 - To random and unpredictable to for skill
[b]CTF - Strategy[/b]: 10 - I have tons of it, getting others on my playbook however...
[b]CTF - Offense[/b]: 8 -
[b]CTF - Defense[/b]: 8 - I'm prolly great at it, but i get bored
[b]CTF - Teamwork[/b]: 5 - I'm capable, but w/o a team that knows me, I'm too lazy to try it on pubs
[url]http://mkzelda.net[/url] - Repository for my nexuiz files
[url]http://www.optimalclan.com[/url] - [O]ptimal Clan
01-10-2008, 01:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2008 01:55 AM by Chryyz.)
[b]sniping[/b]: 9
[b]resource control[/b]: 4
[b]Map memorization[/b] : 7 - I memorize the maps easily, but it takes a while before I can react quickly in a mazelike map to cut someone off.
[b]weapon switching/combining[/b]: 8 - Switching is easy, I can combine fairly well in my opinion aswell, but I usually don't take advantage of it.
[b]knowledge of keybinds[/b]: 8 - Going with that because I don't really use any special scripts or anything, which you might be considering under this question. I find normal keybinds to be more than adequate, and I don't need scripts doing my job for me =P

[u]laser[/u]: 7 - Can pop people up extremely well, but I find it a bit more difficult to smack them in the air. (Something I'm working on at the moment)
[u]shotgun[/u]: 8, great and easy to use close and mid range, but I have trouble with the alternative fire because of the high sensitivity that I use.
[u]crylink[/u]: 8
[u]machine gun[/u]: 7 - As with shotgun, it's hard to maintain fire on primary because of my high sensitivity, but I do pretty well.
[u]electro[/u]: 6 - I generally aim for the legs and hope for splash damage, I don't have a chance when it comes to direct aiming.
[u]mortar[/u]: 6 - Still a bit quirky with this a the moment. Working on calculating range and height.
[u]nex gun[/u]: 8 - When I'm up and ready to go, this is my weapon of choice. I use it both close, mid, and long range to bring enemies down quickly with one or two shots in most cases.
[u]hagar[/u]: 5 - Not my favorite weapon, but I'm getting the hang of it.
[u]rocket launcher[/u]: 6 - Also one of the weapons I attempt to avoid, despite the decent damage and advantages of a slow flying projectile, I often find myself accidentally hitting a nearby pillar or wall :-/

[b]DM Strategy (1v1)[/b]: 4 - I can usually stay alive, but find myself outmaneuvered on many occasions
[b]CTF - Strategy[/b]: 8 - I'm fairly aware of what to do in each situation, but there's always room for improvement, and I'm leaving 2 points for that.
[b]CTF - Offense[/b]: 7 - Depends on the map, and what the other team's defense is up to really, but I do fairly well when I put my mind to it.
[b]CTF - Teamwork[/b]: 6 - I'm going to leave this at 6, because while I'm willing to work as a team, and do everything possible, I have yet to find teammates that are willing to do so aswell. Therefore I'm unsure of how well I would coordinate with a well organized team, and I don't want to wing a good rating.
Deny The Design
[img]http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/8673/haseosigna4.jpg[/img]
01-10-2008, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2008 12:29 PM by Mr. Bougo.)
[b]dog-fighting[/b]: 6
Gotta work on this xD
[b]sniping[/b]: 7
[b]weapon switching/combining[/b]: 6
I can play with it, but I'm so ashamed of my weaponwheel

[b]Map Memorization[/b]: 9
I can guide you in NordicCastle! That's a good proof!

[u]laser[/u]: 10
[u]shotgun[/u]: 7
[u]crylink[/u]: 7.5
[u]machine gun[/u]: 0
Man I so hate that weapon, don't even want to use it... I master it perfectly, you don't need more than 0/10 to master it and do lots of damage
[u]mortar[/u]: 9
[u]hagar[/u]: 6
Banned from my weapon list :p (gee, hagar, get out of the way, I can't switch from RL to nex with you in my weapons)
[u]rocket launcher[/u]: 8

[b]DM Strategy (1v1)[/b]: 8
Having a strategy is one thing. Using it is another.
[b]DM Strategy (free for all)[/b]: 6
Seems like I can't find targets... Where are you?
[b]CTF - Strategy[/b]: 8.5
[b]CTF - Offense[/b]: 6
Except on some maps
[b]CTF - Defense[/b]: 8.5
[b]CTF - Teamwork[/b]: 9
If my teammates know about teamwork, we can do real great captures.

[b]CTF - Ability to hold onto flag[/b]: 6
I feel some panik when they follow me... If they don't, it's ok... I find some spot and I can defend it with my def skills... Running with a flag is too much in attacking skill.
[b]CTF - Awareness of waypoints[/b]: 9
I made them scale up! Hrhrhr
Ah, I can do speedrun, but can you do speedruns when your own flag isn't at the base? ;p

[b]Evasion skills[/b]: 9 w/o flag, 6 w/ flag (and sometimes 9, U CANT BEAT MAH LAZERWALLZ)

[b]tip[/b]: quote this post and you can just change your values :D
[/quote] (left on purpose to make you think I'm a poor quoter)
[url=http://www.nexuizninjaz.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=113&pid=477#pid477]Mr. Bougo, blah blah blah blah Dec 2007.[/url]
01-10-2008, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2008 05:56 PM by torus.)
[b]rocket flying[/b]: 9
[b]sniping[/b]: 6.5
[b]weapon switching/combining[/b]: 8
[b]knowledge of keybinds[/b]: 10

[b]Map Memorization[/b]
[u]CTF[/u]: 10 (I've studied many of the map sources to understand maps better)
[u]DM[/u]: 8

[u]laser[/u]: 9.5 (I'm very good at laser jumping- I won't put 10, because I met one guy on the techDM server who could actually consistently [i]hit [/i]me with the laser from across map >_<. That was humbling.
[u]shotgun[/u]: 8
[u]crylink[/u]: 6
[u]machine gun[/u]: 7.5
[u]nex gun[/u]: 6.5
[u]hagar[/u]: 7.5

[b]DM Strategy (1v1)[/b]: 7
[b]DM Strategy (free for all)[/b]: There is a strategy for FFA DM?
[b]CTF - Strategy[/b]: 9
[b]CTF - Teamwork[/b]: 10

[b]CTF - Ability to hold onto flag[/b]: 9
[b]CTF - Awareness of waypoints[/b]: (I'm not sure what this means... is this map location data? If so, then 9. However, my keybinds spawn a waypoint sprite, so others don't even need to know the names).
[b]CTF - Flag capture speed[/b]: 8.5
[b]CTF - Awareness of the state of the game[/b]: 9
(Ability to translate other users waypoints and messages into a story, knowledge of both flags current situation, etc.)
[b]Evasion skills[/b]: 8.5

I assume that a "5" is just average.

First post. :D
torus, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Jan 2008.
01-10-2008, 09:59 PM
hi all :)

[b]dog-fighting[/b]: 3
[b]sniping[/b]: 2
[b]resource control[/b]: 1
[b]weapon switching/combining[/b]: 2
[b]knowledge of keybinds[/b]: 3

[b]Map Memorization[/b]
[u]CTF[/u]: 5

[u]laser[/u]: 7
[u]shotgun[/u]: 3
[u]crylink[/u]: 5
[u]machine gun[/u]: 3
[u]electro[/u]: 6
[u]mortar[/u]: 4
[u]nex gun[/u]: 2 - 7 (depending on refire/game speed)
[u]hagar[/u]: 4
[u]rocket launcher[/u]: 6

[b]DM Strategy (1v1)[/b]: -1 :P
[b]DM Strategy (free for all)[/b]: 6
[b]CTF - Strategy[/b]: 1
[b]CTF - Offense[/b]: 1
[b]CTF - Defense[/b]: 1
[b]CTF - Teamwork[/b]: 1
[b]CTF - Ability to hold onto flag[/b]: 1
[b]CTF - Awareness of waypoints[/b]: 1
[b]CTF - Flag capture speed[/b]: 5
[b]CTF - Awareness of the state of the game[/b]: 2
( i'd rather laser my team mates off the map :P )

[b]Evasion skills[/b]: 5
amoebios, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the [url=http://amoebios.wikispaces.com/file/view/re-madninja.mp3]mad Robot Pirate Ninja Art[/url] of Nexuiz since Jan 2008.

O.U.N.S: [url]http://ouns.nexuizninjaz.com[/url] - Providing Nexuiz-related content since Aug 2006.
02-17-2008, 10:10 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2008 10:11 PM by Dave.)
interesting idea. Overall I'd rate my gameplay a 5 (can improve in every area).

dog-fighting: 5 (it's always luck here)
laser jumping: 7 (moderately advanced at this)
rocket flying: 5 (can do it;ruins gameplay, I don't do it to cap flags)
sniping: 2 (get lucky sometimes, depends on the target)
resource control: 3 (always forget to focus on health)
weapon switching/combining: 1 (Very poor. I've become used to switching with the mousewheel. This is my weakest point.)
knowledge of keybinds: 1 (If it's useful stuff, I'll type it myself)

Map Memorization
CTF: 5 (lots of maps to remember all the frequently traveled paths and spawnpoints)
DM: 7 (fewer maps, easy to remember frequently traveled paths and spawnpoints)

Individual weapon skill
laser: 6
shotgun: 6
crylink: 4
machine gun: 5
electro: 6
mortar: 8
nex gun: 3
hagar: 6
rocket launcher: 4

DM Strategy (1v1): 4 (varies greatly between maps)
DM Strategy (free for all): 7 (yes, there are strategies here)
CTF - Strategy: 4
CTF - Offense: 2
CTF - Defense: 5
CTF - Teamwork: 5
CTF - Ability to hold onto flag: 3
CTF - Awareness of waypoints: 5 (What waypoints? The base locations?)
CTF - Flag capture speed: 2 (prefer annihilation to stealth)
CTF - Awareness of the state of the game: 7 (more aware than my teammates at least :)