Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Private clan servers
03-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Private clan servers
The first private server I setup has been nicknamed the "batcave", which we've been using for the past month or so. So far so good.

Now that 2.4 is out, I've setup two "batcaves". The purpose of these servers is to have a place to practice and have clan and pickup matches. These servers will hope to build up clan activity for north american players (or people playing on north american servers).

So far, I've only been giving this address out to those who are in North American clans and some select individuals who aren't in clans. For those who know the server, please don't give it out so easily. Thank you.

Batcave #1 - This is setup similarly to the 2.3 server. This is mainly for pickup CTF matches and practices.

Batcave #2 - This is setup in a more complex fashion and is intended for official clan matces. This has many votable features and the ability to switch between CTF and TDM modes. It utilizes team lock and f4 ready/start mode.

To use this server properly, you vcall one of the following : 1v1, 2v2tdm, 2v2ctf, 3v3tdm, 3v3ctf, 4v4tdm, 4v4ctf, 5v5tdm and 5v5ctf. That establishes the number of max players that can join teams. When everyone connects, the server is initially in warmup mode with all weapons. When everyone in the match hits F4, there will be a countdown to start the match. [b]When the match starts,[/b] the players can't read what the spectator's are typing. Also, nobody can join the match after it starts because the teams are locked (like if someone hits f3 or loses a connection and wants to join back in). However, you can unlock the teams using the vcall unlockteams command.

These features are experimental. If you have any questions about the server, ask them in #optimal.nexuiz in IRC.

Doku
Dokujisan, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Dec 2007.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2008, 06:13 PM
RE: Private clan servers
On server #2 you can "vcall calltimeout" if someone gets disconnected or any situation where match needs to be paused, then you can unlock/relock (vcall lockteams and unlockteams) the teams when he comes back. "vcall resumegame" to resume the game.

But the lockteams/unlockteams commands are not really useful, because the number of maximum players allowed is already set by g_maxplayers (which gets changed when you vote for 2v2, 3v3, etc.) I would suggest disabling it (teamplay_lockonrestart 0). I think it should be disabled by default with the mod, it's really only useful if there are spectators trying to cause problems by stealing a spot when a player gets disconnected only to mess things up. I don't think we should worry about that yet. Actually it would be better that way, if a clan has a backup player spectating, he/she can simply jump in without stopping the match.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Quote:These servers will hope to build up clan activity for north american players (or people playing on north american servers)

Tks for the clarification Icon_smile

Quote:it's really only useful if there are spectators trying to cause problems by stealing a spot when a player gets disconnected only to mess things up. I don't think we should worry about that yet. Actually it would be better that way, if a clan has a backup player spectating, he/she can simply jump in without stopping the match.

I must concurr with nifrek opinion, i think his solution is a better approach.
Just keep fraggin' and fraggin' pal, allways keep forward and never look back
[url]http://stroggs.ravenlabs.org[/url]
irc://irc.quakenet.org/stroggs.nexuiz
03-03-2008, 04:57 AM
ok, I'll remove team lock on batcave[2] then. Thanks for the suggestion.

I want to select a few more DM maps to use for TDM. I'm just waiting on mkzelda to clean up my maps. Some of them were corrupt :-/
Dokujisan, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Dec 2007.
03-03-2008, 05:03 AM
I might experiment with server-side demo recording as well. I'm not sure how much that would drag down the server or how many players it could record at one time. It would be neat trick if demo recording could be done for all of the players and switched on by a vcall for clan matches...and then automatically copied to some webspace to be downloadable (since I am going to run a web server on the same physical server).
03-05-2008, 02:44 AM
I've been anxious to experiment with the same thing so let me know how it goes.
[url]http://mkzelda.net[/url] - Repository for my nexuiz files
[url]http://www.optimalclan.com[/url] - [O]ptimal Clan