Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Making Clan Matches a Smooth Process
06-12-2008, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2008 06:11 PM by Dokujisan.)
Making Clan Matches a Smooth Process
The last 3-4 attempts to have clan matches have had generally messy results. I think it would help for me to place some guidelines to help with this process. All of the clan leaders should point their clan members to this thread before clan matches.

[b]The Tourney Mod System[/b] - If you haven't experienced it, the tourney mod allows us to start in a warmup stage before the actual match starts. We are able to set a maximum number of players for each team. The warmup mode gives you full weapons and lots of health and armor. There is no timelimit to warmup mode. The actual match begins when everyone in the match presses F4 to begin. After the match begins, the players aren't able to hear the spectators.

Here are the guidelines...

[b]1. There needs to be a moderator for matches[/b] - I'm usually filling that role, but sometimes I can't make it and someone else needs to fill this role. This person is merely there to keep the match moving along and organized and (if it's a public match) to kick people when they are not acting appropriately. If it's a pickup match, the moderator usually selects teams to help make the match even.

[b]2. Please pay attention to the moderator[/b] - I can't tell you how many times a match has stalled because one or two of the players were not paying attention during the warmup period. Sometimes, players need to jump out to balance teams or to let another player in. It's important that everyone participating in the clan match pays attention to the moderator.

[b]3. Do not press F4 until teams are set[/b] - Using the tournament mod, you have a warmup period where the match starts when everyone has pressed F4. [b]However[/b], nobody should press F4 until the teams are SET. In other words, if there are 4 people on the blue team and 5 people on the red team, there is a chance that the match could start prematurely. [b]Nobody should press F4 until the teams are set[/b].

[b]4. Be prepared to press F4[/b] - This has been the biggest holdup for matches. The current version of the tourney mod doesn't show who has NOT pressed F4 to begin. Sometimes, matches have been stuck in warmup mode for 10 minutes waiting on someone to press F4 to begin the match. It's very frustrating. This basically is the same as #2, but I just wanted to emphasize this point.

[b]5. Try to keep chatter down before the match starts.[/b] - This is especially important if there is a problem with someone not pressing F4. If the moderator is trying to get someone's attention, it helps if everyone BUT the moderator remains quiet during that time. As a backup plan, I've setup an alias on my servers which allows me to mute everyone on the server in one step so I can talk to people. [b]Especially[/b] try not to chat if all you are doing is complaining about the match not starting fast enough. That just makes things worse.

[b]6. Try to get to the official clan matches a few minutes early[/b] - That way, we can get teams established before spectators start flooding the servers.

[b]7. If you can't make a clan match, please tell someone[/b] - There have been a few clan matches where people couldn't make it but they didn't bother notifying anyone in their clan.
Dokujisan, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Dec 2007.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2008, 07:55 PM
RE: Making Clan Matches a Smooth Process
want a smooth process? [url]www.teamwarfare.com[/url], request a ladder there, can then set admins, rules, (ie require tourney mod, time limits, etc)
[url]http://abigjew.evony.com/[/url]

Server 75
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2008, 08:36 PM
That has to do with setting up the matches, and nothing to do with the behavior during the matches. As the Nexuiz tourney mod improves, then the issues mentioned above will lessen.

As for setting up matches, we're planning the development of a system for that, specifically written for Nexuiz (integrated with other systems/projects).
Dokujisan, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Dec 2007.
06-13-2008, 08:37 AM
Dokujisan Wrote:That has to do with setting up the matches, and nothing to do with the behavior during the matches. As the Nexuiz tourney mod improves, then the issues mentioned above will lessen.

As for setting up matches, we're planning the development of a system for that, specifically written for Nexuiz (integrated with other systems/projects).

It has to do with everything regarding matches, theres rulesets to follow as far as ingame behaviour, tardiness, exploiting, etc.
[url]http://abigjew.evony.com/[/url]

Server 75
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-13-2008, 10:54 AM
The behavior in game has to do with the functionality of the tourney mod itself. A website app won't affect that. The tourney mod itself needs to change.

For example:
When a single player doesn't press F4 to begin the match and the warmup mode lasts 10 minutes. That's a problem with how the tourney mod works. So, for now, we can still use the tourney mod as long as the clan members pay attention to the moderator (as well as their clanmates). In the future, the tourney mod will hope to have other features to prevent that from being a problem.
07-18-2008, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2008 04:34 PM by AceOfThumbs.)
If players aren't paying attention to the moderator, I would think that it is either because:

1. They are away from their computer. If it goes on too long, you could kick them.

2. It's more likely that they are concentrating on the practice and not reading the messages. If you pause the game all activity stops and they will start reading. You can do this with the alias below:
Code:
alias master_pause "rcon pausable 1; pause; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; wait; rcon pausable 0"
So much to do, so little time to do it