Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Looking for advice on aiming...
07-04-2009, 12:48 PM
question Looking for advice on aiming...
Hello everyone! I'm new here, and I have a question.

What would be some good ways to practice aiming?

I know the minstagib level in single player is pretty good for it, but are there any other ways for me to practice, or does it just come down to playing game after game and picking it up over time?

My main concern is aiming in close combat. I find that with all the movement, I can't get a bead on any particular opponent, and am often left firing randomly, hoping to hit something.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
Dude the Mighty -- The few, the proud, the... This guy!
Now with 25% more oranges!
And the power of fiber! From oatmeal!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2009, 12:56 PM
RE: Looking for advice on aiming...
there are ways to improve the accuracy of your aim:

for example: you can change your crosshair to a smaller size or a different style.
i tend to use the circular dot on the bottom row of crosshairs.

also, you can go to the nexuizninjaz dojo server and ask for the level "dojo" by typing "vcall chmap thedojo" into console. there is an aim practising area there.

but the only way i found to drastically improve your aim is practise....i know that isnt really what you want to hear, but i was asking exactly the same question as you about 2-3 months ago.
it all comes down to experience in game, and how fast the people you play against move.

i hope this helps.

evil_mercenary
evil_mercenary, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since May 2009.
07-04-2009, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2009 01:20 PM by CanadianLinux.)
Hey Dude the Mighty, welcome to the forums. I had a tough time with my aim a while back and found that the following steps improved my aim drastically.

[u]Sensitivity:[/u] Try lowering your sens, until you can still comfortably do a 180 but still feel in control of your cross hair.

[u]Mouse Pad: [/u]I found that a generic mouse pad just didn't cut it. I needed a larger space to be able to flick my mouse without having to pick it up. Especially with low sens

[u]Crosshair:[/u] Tweak gave me this crosshair, its just a dot, but the dot has a border around it. Its brilliant. Set it to a bright colour with a very small size.

[url]http://www.mediafire.com/?etimwwrgkwl[/url]

Put this in your Nexuiz/data/gfx directory. You need a folder called gfx, if you don't have this folder create it.

In Nexuiz console type:
set crosshair 12

[u]Graphics:[/u] If you are looking for gameplay rather than pretty graphics try lowering your graphic settings. A few settings to look at are:

r_fullbright 1
gl_picmip 6
r_sky 0

More Here [url]http://pastie.org/534222[/url]

A final tip, is to just watch skilled players. Watch how they use strafing to control their aim.
CanadianLinux, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Apr 2008.
07-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, keep your mouse sensitivity down to the lowest setting you feel comfortable with.

Don't be afraid to spam the ground by your opponent with electro plasma balls from it's secondary fire to help restrict his movement.

If you are uncomfortable with close combat, try using a laser jump or other means of creating distance between you and your opponent.

Also, make sure to lead the crosshair when using delayed impact weapons, make sure you are aiming right on your enemy with the nex, and try to understand balistics for the machine gun and the rifle. The bullet will drop over time and distance. Learning how the weapons work is a very good way to learn how to aim with them better.

I hope
[img]http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com/images/lsu3yp5qc56g69dtt8ey.jpg[/img]
07-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Thank you for the responses!

I'll be sure to try lowering my sensitivity. I don't have a large mousepad, but I have a stack of printer paper that my mouse seems to tolerate pretty well. :P

I think I will get on the dojo server later. It sounds like a good thing to try.

As for the crosshairs, I will definitely try that one out, Canadian, it sounds good.

It's off to practice, then, I guess. XD
Dude the Mighty -- The few, the proud, the... This guy!
Now with 25% more oranges!
And the power of fiber! From oatmeal!