Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Idea] Ninja training class suggestions
12-19-2007, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2007 05:17 PM by Dokujisan.)
[Idea] Ninja training class suggestions
Hey all. My first post here. I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this topic, so please relocate it if necessary.

--

Edit : I just saw that some of these topics are covered on the forum already. Good deal!

--

I just got through reading [url=http://alientrap.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=29310]this thread [/url]on the Nexuiz forum regarding the first Nexuiz training sessions. I'm SUPER excited about this idea. It is the most active thing I've seen out of the Nexuiz community in a while, and I really think it will help the community. Coming from a martial arts background, I'm a big fan of training in general.

I used to train people on techniques when I ran a Quake 2 clan back in the day. I mostly trained them on strategy, dog-fighting tactics with the rocket launcher, but also improvement with aiming the rail gun. We had training sessions just like the ones that you guys had last sunday. It worked very well for a lot of players.

I have a lot of ideas for this and I would like to share them here.

First, let's consider recording demos of the class sessions, if possible. I know they are an hour long or more, but it would be a very useful resource for all Nexuiz players. If nothing else, perhaps record the beginning 10 minutes of them where you are explaining the techniques and then leave out the hour or more when people are practicing the technique.

Here are some topics to consider (with notes). Some of these are good for live class sessions, while other topics would be better suited for tutorial videos.

- [b]Configure Nexuiz optimal settings[/b] (basic) :
This wouldn't take long to teach. There are quite a few settings that can really help speed up Nexuiz and refine the gameplay to your liking. For example, I play with all of my settings on low and I turn off flashblend to remove halos from rockets.

- [b]Keybinding and communication[/b] (basic) :
Most new players don't realize that they can bind keys, and they don't know how to mark "help" points, or read the help messages. They don't know the default number pad messages. There is an art to creating your own custom keybinds. There are a lot of notes on Xeno's website and on the Nexuiz forum related to keybinds and communication.

- [b]Overview of all weapons[/b] (basic): This is a necessary class for most players. Many people first playing Nexuiz don't really know what the different weapons can do. They don't realize that the crylink's secondary shot is extremely powerful at close range. Some of them don't even realize that you can remote detonate rockets in mid-air.

- [b]Improving nex aim[/b] (intermediate) :
This one was really popular when I was teaching in Q2 (of course, that was with the rail gun, but same thing). The first technique involved setting the aim cursor somewhere on the same horizontal line as the target and using strafing to finalize the aim. It's a much smoother movement and when you get it down properly, you can pull it off quickly. There are lots of other things to consider like staggering your own movement while aiming at an opponent who also has a nex.

The best technique for teaching this is to start by having them sit stationary, like in a sniper position, and I would set god mode on and move around while they try to hit me. I would rocket jump around (or laser jumping in nexuiz) to allow them to try to hit me in the air.

Then after they are comfortable with that, I would eventually get to where we both have a nex and they have to hit me without getting hit (in god mode, of course).

- [b]The power of the mortar[/b] (intermediate): this weapon is very underutilized by most players, and it's incredibly powerful. The mortar fires fast and it has a quick reload. I learned how powerful it was when I played some advanced players who preferred it. It can counter the rocket launcher very well if used properly as it can cause the enemy's own rockets to explode in their face. There is the common "jump + fire" technique where you fire at the apex of your jump. It gives you a better angle to hit the opponent's feet. There is the "juggling" technique with the mortar (which is always frustrating).

- [b]Machine gun and shot gun techniques[/b]:
Everyone starts out with a shotgun, so you might as well learn to use it properly.

The shotgun is very powerful when used up close.

The alternate fire of the machine gun can be used somewhat as a sniper weapon.

The primary fire of the machine gun can someones screen shake uncontrollably when you unload on them at close range, making the gun somewhat inescapable.

I would introduce circle strafing with this topic as it really works well for the machine gun and shot gun.

- [b]Plasma gun[/b]:
Think of it like a mini version of the rocket which moves faster, isn't as powerful, has a smaller radius, but has a faster reload time. This gun has advantages that can take out snipers at long distance, especially because of the radius damage. You don't have to be 100% accurate with it. The faster speed makes it more difficult to avoid as compared to the rocket launcher. You can fire a bunch of shots in the sniper's general area and do damage, whereas the sniper has to hit you dead on in order to retaliate.

Some newer players don't know the "exploding ball" technique. Even players that know how it works, they often don't know when it is most useful.

Also cover how to do the exploding ball technique in mid air (throwing a bunch of balls in the air and shooting them), which can kill people perched above you, or people who laser jumped over you during a dog fight.

- [b]Prediction and patterns[/b] (advanced) :
People tend to have patterns in their movement, whether in real life or in gameplay. I think this is the number one skill that has helped me over time. If I beat people 1v1, this is usually the reason. For example, with the rocket launcher, some people say that I have great aim. But it's not necessarily my aim. It's usually because I can predict where someone is about to go and I aim for that spot. It's also a major reason for my base defense ability in CTF.

Predicting movement is definitely something that stems from my martial arts training in real life.

This is something that was absolutely necessary back in the days of dial-up connections, because you always had a delay in your shots. You simply had to predict in order to hit anybody.

I'm not certain how to teach this in a live session. It might be easier to narrate over some video footage of two people fighting in a 1v1 scenario. Then you could pause the video and say "watch how the player seems to do the same thing every couple of seconds. He moves left and then hops to the right. You can use that to your advantage."

Then perhaps following up with a live session of 1v1 dog fighting, perhaps in god mode.

It would be ideal to use a slow motion video technique like used in this video [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzPrUI40zzM[/url]

- [b]Map control[/b] (advanced) :
This is the key to 1v1 deathmatch gameplay. Know the map like the back of your hand, listen to noises to determine where the enemy is located (and make noises to distract the enemy), control all weapon and health resources, know all of the respawn points, predict where the opponent will likely respawn next, and make sure that a single death of the enemy results in racking up 3-4 kills in a row.

For CTF, this is important for controlling resources, but also for getting back to your base when you have the flag, or for catching up with the enemy flag carrier to return the flag.

My skill in this area is limited, although I do understand the basics techniques. I don't play enough 1v1.

- [b]Improve CTF gameplay and strategy[/b] (advanced) :
This is a large subject that could spill over into multiple sessions. This could be split up into offense and defense classes as there are different strategies for both.

Most players just run around the map and play DM. They don't really think about moving in groups or ways to "crack" the defense of the enemy base.

First, cover some different roles in a CTF game. There are inner defenses, outer defenses, middle ground area (outlands), scouts, people that keep track of resources for the team..."the quad (aka power) is respawning soon", snipers, and then there are different roles when people attack a base together (the strike team).

I've always been pretty good at base defense, and I'm continuing to learn about offensive techniques in CTF. From my defense experience, I know quite a few techniques that people have used to crack the defense. I know of some tricks to harden the defense and how to prepare for an enemy invasion. Like always, it helps to pick up patterns of movement. Some of the best attackers in CTF tend to have their special paths that they prefer, depending on the map. If you pick those up then you can shoot them as they are entering the base.

For offense, there are various strategies when multiple players are attacking a base, like using distraction techniques, getting players to follow you out of their base (this is a big one that works very well), using up their weapons and health that they did not grab (a very common mistake by most players). You can use one player to jump through and scout out the base to prepare for an invasion (see how many people, where they are located, what weapons they have). Then there is the mass invasion where multiple players jump in at once and cause a mess and one player's job is to simply laser jumps through the mess to get the flag and escape. There are lots of strategies to cover here. You have to make sure you can even organize a mass invasion using proper communication. Pick a meetup point, or say "get ready to attack the base within 20 seconds on my mark" or something.

Then there is the strategy of how to best protect your flag carrier to ensure that they get back to base. Lots of stuff to cover.

- [b]Weapon switching and weapon combinations[/b] (very advanced) :
I need to improve this myself. Weapons combining is used by most of the advanced players. I have yet to master it, but I really want to. Some players use weapons keybinds near the WASD keys, while some use buttons on their mouse to switch weapons. Then there is the Nex reload trick which involves firing the nex and then switching to another weapon and right back to the Nex to improve the reload time. I believe it cuts the Nex reload time by like 50% or so (they may change this is future Nexuiz versions).

Then there is the weapons combo of using a slower-moving radius damage weapon like the rocket launcher along with an instant-hit weapon like the nex or machine gun. The first weapon sets up the opponent to be hit by the second weapon. I think that is Usil's biggest skill and he is the most dominant 1v1 player in north america. Dresk also does this, although he doesn't play regular Nexuiz, only his own spidflisk mod. Kojn also uses that technique and he's the best player in Europe. The three best Nexuiz players rely heavily on this skill.

[b]--[/b]

I would like to further discuss the above topics and create some notes for basic ideas as well as add additional topics. It would be great if we could collaborate to establish some kind of curriculum and method for teaching each topic,

- Doku
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2007, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2007 05:52 PM by Mirio.)
RE: [Idea] Ninja training class suggestions
welcome Doku!! :)
be a teacher! ;)

for the nex training:
why god mode? i think without would be better , because if they frag you , they think "yay i got him!?" ;)
another solution:
put clones somewhere and the pupil have to shot them..
btw i try to promote nexuizninjaz.com after every game.. :]
and if you use IRC.. -> #nexuiz.ninjaz Icon_wink
[color=blue][BOT][/color][color=red]M[/color]irio [color=white]{[/color][color=red]NN[/color][color=white]}[/color],proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz since Nov 2007.
[url=bot-nexuiz.de.tl][BOT] Page[/url] | [url=topfreeforum.com/botforum][BOT] Forum[/url]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Hey Doku, welcome to the forums. It's great to have someone with your level of experience here to help us out. As Mirio said, the best place to expand upon these ideas would be IRC.

Recording demo's of the classes is a great idea. Actually, it might be a good idea if all teachers should submit their demo's to the thread post class.

This is my first time being part of something like this so any advice you can give is much appreciated. I'd love to go over this with you some time. Please try to get on IRC.
Inspire your neighbor, they'll inspire you back.

[url=http://maps.nexuizninjaz.com]maps.nn[/url] | [url=http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com]pics.nn[/url] | [url=http://chat.nexuizninjaz.com]chat.nn[/url] | [url=http://toolz.nexuizninjaz.com/cvar]2.5 cvar browser[/url]
12-19-2007, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2007 04:38 PM by AceOfThumbs.)
Wow! Excellent ideas! Icon_smile Please try to give a class on any of these topics. I would certainly attend. I could help out in some cases and learn in others. I thought about recording a demo, but I was already teaching before I remembered to start recording and I didn't want to leave the class and lose the few students I had. There were only a couple in the first 10 minutes.

Here are some training set up tips I figured out for the class I taught on Sunday:
  1. Pick a map that suits what you want to teach, but isn't too large or too segmented. For example, I used eggandbacon so I would have enough open space for rocket jumps, walls to jump up and off of, jumppads and ledges to jump onto. It's enclosed so everyone stayed together, but has no obstructions, so everyone could see what I was doing and I could see them. Also, be aware of the maps available on the server and how to switch maps.
  2. Make the game pausable, so you can stop everyone if you need to get control of the class or just to move to a different lesson or topic. A pause can also be handy to stop a person or a missle in midair and give comments.
  3. Set timelimit and fraglimit to zero, so the game doesn't end before you are ready to switch maps.
  4. Set minplayers to zero, so robots don't join the game.
  5. Use god mode and impulse 99 for yourself so you can teach without having to worry about picking up items. (unless you are teaching about picking items of course)
  6. Tell the students about god mode and impulse 99 if it works for what you are teaching. Since I was teaching moving with weapons, it was much easier if the students could keep practicing without needing to pick up items. I reminded them periodically that they would need to pick up health and armor to use rocket jumps in a real game.
  7. I didn't have any trouble with anyone, but it is important to know how to kick someone if they are disrupting the class.
  8. An all-around good method to teach a technique is to get everyone to watch you do it, then to spec you as you do it, giving commentary as you go. Then have everyone try it and watch them do it . Spec each player, giving commentary on how they are doing it.
  9. This isn't necessary, but it can be a big time saver to bind some training messages to keys. For example I had a key bound to an alias that toggled through 3 messages about hopping. Another with 3 messages about laser jumps. It saves on typing and it's great for when someone asks you to repeat.

No students were there when my class was supposed to start. I have some tips to help with this problem:
  1. Give several days notice if possible. I only gave about a day and a half.
  2. Make the server public several minutes before the class starts. I posted instructions for connecting manually, but I'm sure a lot of people didn't feel comfortable using the console to connect. I made it public just before the class, but it took a while for anyone to notice.
  3. If your class is small or empty, try to get another player to go fishing for students in the other public servers and IRC. Many players don't check the forums.
  4. We need to build a class schedule page so people don't have to scroll through a forum post to find out about attending and teaching classes (I'll post in the development section about this later)
So much to do, so little time to do it
12-20-2007, 08:42 AM
i think a good map for nex training ,rocketjump & bunny hoping would be FacingWorlds.
but why u don't make the server public all time? if an advanced player join u can tell him about the training and ask him to leave , if not kick ^_^
but a special training site wouldn't be bad ,good ideas (-> other topic)
[color=blue][BOT][/color][color=red]M[/color]irio [color=white]{[/color][color=red]NN[/color][color=white]}[/color],proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz since Nov 2007.
[url=bot-nexuiz.de.tl][BOT] Page[/url] | [url=topfreeforum.com/botforum][BOT] Forum[/url]
12-20-2007, 04:41 PM
I think the training server should only be public if a teacher is there. It takes a few minutes to get the server set up and to organize your thoughts for the class too.

A training page is in the works. See this thread: [url]http://www.nexuizninjaz.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=80[/url]

Note that I added a number 9 to the training set up list above. I'll post my training config when we get the training page done.
So much to do, so little time to do it
12-20-2007, 05:46 PM
AceOfThumbs Wrote:I think the training server should only be public if a teacher is there.
of course only if a traning session is there Icon_rolleyes Icon_razz