Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Guide for respectful playing / Various "unspoken rules"
08-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Guide for respectful playing / Various "unspoken rules"
Here is some stuff that most experienced players (ie: who've played other fps games competitively or have played nexuiz for while) usually agree on and don't really need to talk about. I think everyone should follow this code. If everyone did, then there would be no drama ever. It is mainly directed at new players getting interested in duels and players who already play but don't seem to know about this. Of course, you are completely free to not care, but if you follow this you'll get more respect and the top players will be more inclined to play with you. I don't think there's any Nexuiz player that can pretend he is at "pro" level yet (if we consider what is pro level in other games), but it'll come soon enough as everyone is progressing very fast these days. This community is very friendly and those "rules", IMHO, would help keep it that way.

So here we go:

[b]Duels[/b]

[b]-[/b] When you agree to play a duel, always assume that you are going to play at least 2 maps. You pick a map, the other player picks the other. If you don't have time for 2 maps, make sure to mention it before you start playing, so that the other player knows. It is disrespectful to leave after one game without having said so beforehand when you picked the map first map, especially if you destroyed your opponent. (This is of course different if you're playing the same person often for hours everyday that you consider a friend, this more for matches where a player challenges someone for a duel). It is acceptable to leave after first map if you didn't pick the map and you lost, as you're basically giving up the chance for "revenge", so the other player won't have to feel like you don't care and just wanted to kick his ass and leave. But ideally you should play 2 maps.

[b]-[/b] When you agree to play a duel, play it until the end. Leaving mid game for no good reason (ie: because you're losing) is disrespectful. It's also disrespectful to give up after a few minutes and start messing around until match ends. Try to play the best as you can and give a good challenge even if you're lagged/tired/have low fps/etc. If it's really unplayable for some reason, like your ping suddenly going over 600 (ie: something VISIBLE for the other player) than he has no reason to be annoyed if you want to stop the match. Otherwise, apologize for not playing the best you could because of issues. The other player will understand and appreciate that you still played the whole match, and you can always rematch some other time.

[b]-[/b] During a match, if someone says "wait/brb/just a sec/etc.", you should STOP moving and stay where you are until the other player comes back. Don't be an asshat and keep running around stacking health/armor. If you judge that it's taking too long and is ruining the match, ask to restart the map when the other player comes back.

[b]-[/b] If you get interrupted a few times by something at home (phone calls, somebody talking to you, etc.) during a match and is obviously messing up your opponent's timing, apologize, be a good guy and offer him to restart the match. For friendly matches most players won't care but if the game is played seriously at all, it can ruin the game even if you were away for less than a minute. If he says no, then keep playing and don't mention it again.

[b]-[/b] After a duel, say "good game" no matter what the result is. Even if you played badly of various reasons, because the other player might have played the best game of his life and might be enjoying his win. Saying "bad game" is disrespectful for that player. It is of course okay to mention, afterward, that you yourself played badly if you really feel like you have to explain yourself, but keep in mind that if you always give excuses when losing it'll sound like bad sportsmanship. When you play with the same players a lot you get to know them and you'll feel it when they're not playing as good as they could. It's the same for them, they'll understand, try to be friendly about it.

[b]-[/b] Don't diss someone who complains during a match because he's having troubles with lag/aim/being tired. Everyone has it's bad days, you do too, so be understanding. If you have something to say about it, wait until match is finished. Or if it gets too annoying, then offer him to stop the match, he'll realize he's being annoying and he'll either shut up or agree to stop the match. Again, try to be friendly about it.

[b]-[/b] After a game, if you just beat someone badly, feel free to give him pointers as to what he might have done wrong repeatedly that gave you advantage, to help him out. Personally I like to be told no matter what, but use your own judgment about if the other player wants to hear it or not. Some of the good players are experienced enough to know what they did wrong, you can suppose they don't necessarily want to get hit on the head about it.

[b]-[/b] Good attitude is important. When you beat a player you've never beat before and you're very proud about it, try to be respectful and don't go screaming "OMG I BEAT YOU! I CAN'T BELIEBVE I BEAT YOIU!! AHAHAHG!GH!AH!" or immediately go around and tell everyone. Have some humility and you'll get more respect, top players will be more inclined to play often with you as they'll see you as a good challenge and as someone who they can enjoy playing without feeling pressure. That's the best way to make progress, on both sides.

[b]-[/b] Saying "Good luck/Have fun" might not be necessary, but always appreciated.

[b]-[/b] During duels, don't chat so much, most players won't typefrag but it ruins their timing/strategy and that is annoying. Knowing your opponent's position is a HUGE part of the strategy, if you sit standing right where an armor or a good weapon is about to respawn, your opponent would most likely normally kill you, that's why if you're chatting it ruins their play. Don't complain if you get typefragged in one shot, during duels players are often more nervous and will fire as a reflex and sometimes don't have time to see that you are typing. If you feel the need to say "nice shot", that's fine, but again don't expect your opponent to not shoot at you when you respawn while typing. Most players want the spawnkills. You shouldn't expect your opponent to say "thanks" (even if he's probably thankful that you mentioned it) as, again, it can ruin his timing.

[b]Other things to consider in any type of games[/b]

[b]-[/b] About teamkills. During team games, unless you're on a public server or with players you don't know, saying "sorry" everytime you kill a teammate is a waste of time. Your teammate knows you're feeling sorry, unless you obviously killed him on purpose. If you die afterward while typing "sorry" then that makes you both dead and without weapons. Instead, if you really feel that sorry, try to give him a weapon or keep him an armor. Wait AFTER the match to say you're sorry. By keeping that in mind, if you get teamkilled, don't whine if he doesnt say he's sorry, shit happens. Teamkills are part of the game.

[b]-[/b] It is useless to complain about typefrags during a pickup/clan match. You're expected to play more seriously than on a public server and your opponents can't guess if you're talking to your team or about to say something to them. If you're trying to say something public and you get typefragged, it is your own fault for wanting to say something that could wait until after the match. Players can't risk not killing you because you're typing and then get shot in the back when you're done.

[b]-[/b] During clan matches, avoid any shit talk. In fact try to keep silent as much as possible in public chat. If you're very pissed and really feel the need to say something, say it in private to your teammates (ie: "all they do is camping, blah blah blah"). Also, nobody cares if you're proud about your score or that you kicked ass or that you "pwned". You won, they lost, everybody knows already. Nobody likes arrogant players or to be told that they suck and will feel the need to say something about it and that's when the drama starts. If you absolutely feel the need to shit talk about someone, do it in private and not to his face. And when you lose, keep your frustration private too. Your clan will get a lot more respect if you don't have shitty attitudes.

That's all for now. Comments are welcome. Please try to not get off subject.

If you see any English mistakes (as I do not speak it natively), please tell me by irc or pm so that it won't fill this thread with messages about it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2008, 01:42 AM
RE: Guide for respectful playing / Various "unspoken rules"
Great guide!

This will hopefully inspire some people too be more respectful too other players.
You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right

Viva la Revolution!
Find all posts by this user
08-10-2008, 02:43 AM
Good guide. Great job nifrek!
"Colors are a powerful weapon" - Gary Tonge
08-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Nice guide. I have to admit, sometimes in scrimmages and clan matches, I do break the last rule, but I will work on that. Sorry.
GT Goals:
- Become a stronger clan, speed and skill.
- Be a part of the community.
08-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Nothing to feel bad about, this is more of a "code" than actual rules.

If you think about it, a clan that loses a match and shit talks after is going to look like a bunch of whiners. On the other hand, if they say thanks for the game and don't whine, they'll look more professional, the winning clan will feel respected and they'll most definitely think of you as a clan they can enjoy friendly matches with. Same for the inverse, a clan that wins and then shit talks, is going to look like assholes and everyone will hate them for being arrogant. If they say thanks for the game and act friendly, the losing clan won't feel like shit about losing and will have a lot more respect for the other clan and they'll be looking forward to play more with them as they'll (hopefully) see it as an opportunity to play against a better clan without feeling pressure.

Everybody has the right to feel good about beating someone (who doesn't?) but it's better to keep the shit talk in your private channel on irc. Often, drama starts when someone says something as joke or not seriously (ie: we owned them haha) and then someone else will feel insulted by it. What you say in private, that's your business, it won't create drama as long as it stays private.
08-13-2008, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2008 02:23 PM by Mute Print.)
The official Nexuiz tact guide! Lately I've been very minimalistic with my ingame chat, id est "/" and ":)" and "yes/no."
09-10-2008, 05:50 AM
I go out of my way to typefrag, then I diss the person I type fragged heavily. Sometimes I get to the top of the chart by typefragging.
mikeeusa, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Apr 2008.
09-10-2008, 06:03 AM
mikeeusa Wrote:I go out of my way to typefrag, then I diss the person I type fragged heavily. Sometimes I get to the top of the chart by typefragging.

I find this very doubtful.
Inspire your neighbor, they'll inspire you back.

[url=http://maps.nexuizninjaz.com]maps.nn[/url] | [url=http://pics.nexuizninjaz.com]pics.nn[/url] | [url=http://chat.nexuizninjaz.com]chat.nn[/url] | [url=http://toolz.nexuizninjaz.com/cvar]2.5 cvar browser[/url]
09-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Z: I did it on galts at night a few times when there were 20 peeps, there was always 1 or 2 peeps AFK or typing... so I fragged those peeps, made 2nd in the list consistantly, then taunted the other players with my "skill" :)
mikeeusa, proud to be a member of Nexuiz Ninjaz - Practicing the Ninja Art of Nexuiz since Apr 2008.
09-11-2008, 11:45 AM
I dont like typefraggers, neither teamkillers.
Aristotle Wrote:We make war that we may live in peace.
Herbert Hoover Wrote:Older men declare war. But it's the youth who must fight and die!
Barack Obama Wrote:We are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America.